Thursday 19 December 2013

Honey Lemon Tea | Fighting Colds | Blogmas Day 2





For Day 2 of Blogmas, I am here to help you make the best of you relaxing holiday! With winter comes dry and cold air. This can often, if not always, cause sore throats and dry coughs. I cannot imagine anything worse than spending a much anticipated holiday suffering in bed.

Today, I'm going to share with you a natural remedy I found which soothes your throat and cough while thoroughly flushing your respiratory system (ooo fancy words) of the disgusting mucus and phlegm that pile up! Not to mention, it tastes amazing! You'll only need three common ingredients and 5 minutes!

So let's get started! xx

RECIPE


The first thing you need to do is get a mug and start boiling your water! For the sake of Blogmas, I chose my cute Rudolph mug given to me by Claudie for Secret Santa last year!


The next thing you need is a lemon. I would recommend rinsing it first! All you need to do is cut one slice and you can keep the rest wrapped up in the refrigerator for further use! Keep in mind, if you want to make more than a cup of tea, feel free to prepare more than one slice!

Lemon is what plays a major role in curing your congestion and coughs. The acidic juice helps penetrate the layer of phlegm that is stuck in your throat. It can also loosen up the muck that sticks to the walls of you throat which is usually the main cause for your irritation and itchiness!


Next is honey. I really don't have a specific amount of honey I like to put in, haha. If you're someone who doesn't mind the citrusy sourness of lemons, put less honey, but if you don't like sour drinks, put as much as you want! But keep in mind, honey is an important part to this drink so you'll definitely have to add some!


Lemon juice is highly acidic. For those of you who understand the pH scale, its a 2. For those who don't, this is one digit less corrosive than hydrochloric acid, as corrosive as vinegar and more corrosive than grapefruit. Acid goes from 1-7, the lower it is, the more acidic. Therefore, drinking this might cause some stomach irritation because your stomach already contains hydrochloric acid. Trust me, your stomach will not be happy if you eat acidic foods all day long. 

The acid can also irritate you throat, which is the exact opposite of what we want to happen! In order to avoid this, honey has a vary soothing affect on the throat which can protect the inner walls from any irritation that the lemon juice can cause. In all honesty, honey is also acidic, though very low. Therefore, it cannot neutralize the acid so keep in mind that you probably should not be chugging this drink all day long.


I like to add the honey in my mug before the water, but you can do whatever you want with that step, haha. All you have to do is add everything in and stir until it all blends together! And don't forget that it's probably scolding hot, so diving right in might not be wise unless you can withstand boiling water down your already sore throat...

My family will often make an entire teapot full of this tea during the seasons where everyone is slightly sniffly. I like to think that this is the reason I was able to present my 30 minute long English presentation during flu season... ;) I hope this post was able to help some of you!

Here's to a healthy New Year! :)
(so cheesy lol)




2 comments:

  1. Aw I hope you feel better soon - it's pants being ill any time of the year, but especially so at Christmas. Although that is a really cute little mug you have to drink it from!

    Twenty-something-sherbet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm already feeling loads better since I got to catch up on sleep this week! And I agree, I love the mug!

      Jenny xx

      Delete